The best thing you can do to help gold-plated jewelry keep its luster as long as possible is to take preventative measures to reduce damage.
- Make sure your hands are free of lotions, make-up, and soil before handling gold-plated pieces.
- Do not apply make-up, perfume, or hairspray while wearing gold-plated jewelry.
- Remove any gold-plated rings and bracelets while preparing acidic foods.
- Do not swim in chlorinated or salt-water pools while wearing gold-plated jewelry.
- Remove gold-plated pieces before exercising or when sweating profusely to prevent salts from damaging the gold.
- Don't carry gold-plated jewelry tossed in a purse or mingled with other pieces to prevent scratching.
- Store your jewelry separately in soft bag provided to prevent damage.